This recipe comes from my good friend, Victoria Dodge, author of Nourishment Now. Her Lentil Soup is not only delicious, it’s hearty and filling. I changed it up and used quinoa instead of rice. Then, added spinach and avocado to make it a well rounded meal.
1 ½ cup lentils
1 cup brown rice (or barley)
6 cups or more cold water
1 TB olive oil
2 TB sesame oil
1 clove garlic
2 ribs celery chopped
2 carrots chopped
2 TB fresh parsley chopped
2 TB Braggs (or more to taste)
1 ½ TB miso
¼ cup nutritional yeast
- Heat sesame and olive oil in skillet and sauté garlic, celery, carrots and parsley.
- Add lentils and rice (if you choose to use quinoa, wait about 15-20 minutes to add as it cooks quicker than rice).
- Pour in water. Add Braggs, and cook until lentils have opened and softened, about 1 hour.
- Remove ½ cup soup broth and mix with miso until smooth. Return to kettle.
- Add nutritional yeast.
- Mix in the spinach, kale, or swiss chard for extra greens.
- Top with avocado.
- Spice it up with red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper.